A soup that hails from Canadian Roots…serve very cold….a sweet base with savory garnishes for that interesting zip!
- 6 pounds watermelon (yellow or red seedless, diced 9-10 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 cup white wine – slightly sweet – we recommend Riesling
- (Wine can be substituted with a sparkling sweetened water)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Pummull Spice – cinci’ zing!
- 8 tsp Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (very finely diced)
- Sea salt to garnish/taste – fresh mint leaves to garnish
Combine 1 cup of the diced watermelon with mint and sugar in a bowl, set aside. Blend remaining 8 cups watermelon, lemon juice, wine, ginger and Pummull Spice in a blender until smooth, let chill at least 30 minutes or longer. Strain soup; divide among 8 bowls. Top each with 1/8 cup reserved watermelon mixture, and a teaspoon of feta cheese, and diced jalapeno…..sea salt to taste can be added. I do suggest a little sprinkle for savory interest.